Reports to: Marketing and Development Manager
Classifications: (10-15 hrs. /week – 4-8 months)
Deadline to apply: September 29th, 2019
Ideal start date: October 7th, 2019
About Prospera: Prospera believes that when women have ownership of our economies, entire communities thrive. We envision an ecosystem of Latina-owned cooperatives, where business-owners are community leaders that care about the wellbeing of our communities. Those leaders transform communities and local economies, and contribute to the wellbeing of all of our communities. Prospera offers educational, entrepreneurship and leadership development programs that respond to the unique challenges and the immense resourcefulness that Latina immigrant women bring. We use a popular education approach because we believe Latina women own powerful experiences that make them strong entrepreneurs and natural promoters of social change. Through our culturally specific programs and Prospera’s extensive network of partners, Latina entrepreneurs access the networks, the tools and the financial resources they need to launch, grow, and become successful owners of cooperative enterprises. The women we partner with are Latina entrepreneurs committed to opening paths to prosperity and wellbeing for themselves, their families and the broader community.
Intern position: The Communications Intern works closely with the Marketing and Development Manager to develop content about Prospera’s programs, campaigns and events to use in the different communications channels with our participants, supporters and followers (e-mailings, newsletter, website and social media channels). The ideal candidate is a communications student, hands-on, bilingual (English/Spanish), and culturally competent team player. Intern will gain hands-on experience working in the field of communications and social media, and will network with non-profit professionals and community partners in the Bay Area.
This is a great opportunity to leverage your talents to support a great cause while you further develop your skills.
Responsibilities & learning opportunities
- Collaborate with the Marketing and Development Manager to create Prospera e-news – includes design, writing and editing content.
- Collaborate with the Marketing and Development Manager to develop social media goals and design work plans and strategies to achieve those goals.
- Support with updating Prospera website.
- Create, schedule and share engaging content on all social media channels weekly (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram).
- Develop creative content – video, infographics, etc.
- Monitor analytics to track progress and growth, and provide recommendations for improving performance on social media platforms.
- Support with moderating comments and messages for social media channels.
- A strong interest in communications & social media.
- Bilingual (English & Spanish); must have excellent English written and verbal communications skills
- In-depth working knowledge of Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Experience with social media analytics, including Google Analytics, Google Adwords and Facebook Insights preferred but not required
- Basic knowledge of graphic design
- Basic knowledge of video editing preferred but not required
- Preferred experience Mailchimp, Photoshop, Canva.com, WordPress
- Ability to take initiative and proactively manage multiple sometimes competing for tasks and projects.
- Committed to detail in a fast-paced environment
- Extremely flexible, with a strong work ethic and an entrepreneurial spirit
Organizational values and core competencies
- Community Wellness
- Cooperation & partnership
- Innovation & entrepreneurship
- Leadership & social justice
- Unpaid internship with commute stipend available (upon request)
- 10-15 hours per week for at least 4 months (annual event October 2019). (Please make sure you have the availability to commit hours per week for the entire internship period before submitting an application).
- Gain experience in your field for your professional development.
- Practice verbal and written communication skills.
Application Process: Please send a thoughtful cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than September, 29th, 2019. In the subject line write the name of the internship you are applying for and your last name: e.g. “Communications Internship_Last Name”. No phone calls please.
Prospera is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks to recruit a diverse workforce.
For full consideration, please follow the application process listed in the description. Unfortunately, we are not able to respond to individual inquiries on the status of your application.