Reports to: Executive Director
Classifications: Full-time, Exempt, Regular, At Will
Deadline to apply: January 30, 2024
About Prospera: Prospera partners with Latina entrepreneurs to launch businesses and coops that foster cooperation, economic independence and well-being in immigrant communities. Through our culturally-based programs, Latinas access the networks, tools and capital they need to become successful business owners and powerful community leaders. We are building a future where all Latinas have the leadership skills and community of support that allows us to create our own fulfilling work and become change makers. Together, we will transform local economies and build resilient communities.
Position Summary: The Development Director works closely with the Executive Director, Board of Directors, staff and consultants to refine and implement a robust fundraising strategy to strengthen and expand the organization’s financial and programmatic sustainability.
This position will manage revenue ($2M- $3M) from grants from foundations, corporations, government grants, sponsorships, major donors, grassroots donors, and include planning fundraising events and campaigns. Along with the Executive Director, the Development Director will serve as a representative of the organization and as an ambassador of Prospera in the external community, attending events, and strategic relationships with funders and donors.
As a member of the Leadership team, the person in this position will help shape organizational culture, strategic planning initiatives, the budgeting process, and support in communications strategy.
Who are we looking for: Prospera is known for its creativity, innovation, and bold vision for holistic, values based leadership and entrepreneurship programs for Latina immigrant women. We are looking for a culturally competent person to take Prospera to the next level with their skills and connections with donors and funders. We are looking for a team player who can roll up their sleeves to make things happen. Someone who shares Prospera’s cooperative values and is excited to innovate and envision the future with us.
Key Responsibilities. Position Responsibilities Include but are not limited to:
Lead fundraising strategy and implementation
- In partnership with the Executive Director and the Board of Directors, develop, implement, and execute a comprehensive fundraising plan to meet Prospera’s $3 million annual operating budget
- Track ongoing progress to fundraising goals from foundations, corporations, government grants, sponsorships, major donors (including managing of donor-advised funds) grassroots donors and new initiatives.
- Motivate, organize and coordinate staff, consultants, volunteers and Board members to actively participate in the fundraising efforts, continuing to create a culture of fundraising in alignment with overall organizational values;
- Work closely with the Strategic and Impact Team to develop and maintain strong systems to support the grant management processes and to track donor data.
- Oversee and develop new initiatives to diversify income with special projects and initiatives: The Power of a Dream Fund, Fee for Service, Capital Campaign.
Corporate, Institutional and government funds
- Oversee and direct grant management process pre- and post-award including active participation in preparation and submission of grant applications, funder relationship management and timely grant reporting:
- Manage, systematize and lead the Development Team formed by Prospera staff and contractors, providing guidance and support as needed to ensure the success of the fundraising goals and objectives.
- Create high quality, persuasive proposals and helps to meet all application, renewal, and reporting criteria. May also work with other members of the staff or/and other grant writers as needed.
- Manage the grant cycle from research, funder cultivation, application to reporting stages to ensure Prospera stays on track with all funder commitments.
- Find, pursue, and secure new funding opportunities through proactive research, outreach, and relationship building;
- Serve as the primary point of contact for our supporters (foundations, corporations, government, and donors) in collaboration with the ED, ensuring responsiveness, strengthening relationships, and keeping partners informed of our work.
Major gifts and Grassroots fundraising
- Develop a Donor Advised Fund strategy to diversify Prospera’s income.
- Develop and implement strategies to expand grassroots fundraising, with a particular emphasis on creating a monthly sustainer program and donor cultivation.
- Collaborate closely with the Communications Team to create and execute robust communications strategy and to support to develop and execute effective donor communications and marketing materials (Ex. End Year Campaign, Giving Tuesday, Thank you donors, Annual Reports…)
- Plan and execute special events that engage donors and raise funds for the organization.
Leadership and Supervisory Responsibilities
- Serve on the leadership team and contribute to guiding overall organizational strategic direction and decision-making, communication strategy, managing resources and ensuring all fundraising activities are in alignment;
- Work towards the organization’s mission and goals, and supporting the organizational development by identifying opportunities for improvement, implementing best practices, and fostering a culture of continuous learning and innovation.
- Oversees the Development Team (formed by different staff members from other departments to support in grant writing, reports and finance) and contractors.
- Collaborate with Finance & Operations Director and Finance Commité to ensure that all income is tracked and allocated appropriately
- Represent Prospera at social, networking, and fundraising events, building relationships and positioning the organization effectively.
- Prospera is planning to hire a Development Manager with the collaboration of this “New Development Director” to support in grants management and grant writing. Support Human Resources to create a Development Manager job description to support the Development team, support the hiring process, and onboarding and supervise a new member of your team.
- At least 6 years of experience in a fundraising leadership role and success raising revenue from foundations, corporations, government, and individual donors. Successful campaign management, and engagement of community supporters. Digital fundraising is also highly valued.
- Bilingual (English & Spanish); must have excellent English written, editing and verbal communications skills.
- Strong prospect identification and networking.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse stakeholders and to build and nurture relationships with funders, donors, board members, or/and staff.
- Strong strategic planning and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of grant writing.
- Experience using grants management and donor databases, preferably Salesforce.
- Organizational, time-management and problem-solving skills needed
- Strong interpersonal, verbal communication, and presentation skills
- Team-centered and collaborative
- Extremely flexible, with a strong work ethic and an entrepreneurial spirit
- Passionate about Prospera’s mission and values.
Employment & Benefit Details
Prospera´s Culture is a bonfire that we all keep strong and alive. We embrace the whole person with their values, experiences and unique characteristics. Each member contributes to Prospera´s “personality,” where mutual support, cooperation, well-being, strengths-based approach, cultural practices, passion and commitment create a family environment based on respect and love.
- Compensation: The salary range for this position is 98-114K commensurate with experience
- Prospera’s official office hours are M-TH 9-5:30 pm and F 9-1pm, and this leadership position could enjoy the benefit of Flextime, an arrangement to modify the start and end times to support sustainability while meeting objectives. (this is arranged with the direct supervisor, the ED)
- Location: Currently we are working remotely with monthly in-person staff meetings in Oakland. Additionally, Prospera has varios in person program events throughout the year that this role is expected to attend plus all the development and networking events of the role. We are open to evaluating candidates not based in the Bay Area if it is the best fit for the organization.
- Time Off: 4 weeks paid vacation a year + 9 holidays + 10 Mental Health Days (after 3 months), 5-long weekends, 1 weeks of collective vacation in the summer and 1 collective week of vacation in the winter
- Sick Time: One day per month
- Health Insurance: We offer health insurance paid at 100% for staff
- Family Leave: According to law.
Application Process: Please fill out this Application Form by 11:59pm PST January 30, 2024 . We will be conducting interviews starting in February 2024 with a start date in early March-April 2024. No phone calls please.
More Information About Prospera
Our Mission: Prospera partners with Latina entrepreneurs to launch businesses and coops that foster cooperation, economic independence and well-being in immigrant communities. Through our culturally-based programs, Latinas access the networks, tools and capital they need to become successful business owners and powerful community leaders.
Our Vision: We envision a vibrant ecosystem of Latina-owned businesses cooperating to transform communities and local economies and building prosperity for the benefit of all.
Who we are: We are an organization run by and for Latina immigrant women, but Latinas are not a monolith. Within this broad identity category, we represent a wide range of cultural practices, socio-economic classes, educational backgrounds, and immigration statuses. We are multilingual and multiracial and together, we make up a rich tapestry of perspectives that inform everything we do.
Our Values: Prospera is committed to applying and upholding the following values and principles in everything we do
● Cooperation: We reclaim our cooperative roots, find meaningful connections with other immigrant women and build partnerships for greater impact.
● Resilience: The challenges we face as immigrant women become our greatest source of strength. We cultivate leadership at all levels, using a strengths-based approach to tap the depth and richness of cultural and community knowledge.
● Holistic wellbeing: We recognize the woman as a whole in all her roles, stages and needs as well as her connection with her community. We support women to create businesses that bring balance and contribute to the wellbeing of all.
● Innovation: We take tools from traditional business incubator programs, infuse them with culture and love and make them accessible for Latina immigrants. We begin to see the possibilities, open doors for each other and dream bigger!
● Collective power: Together, we feel safer and more confident to take risks, flex our leadership and see ourselves as catalysts for community transformation.
Prospera is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks to recruit a diverse workforce.